Principal Data Scientist (London)
QuantumBlack teams work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact. We bring together the brightest data scientists, engineers and designers to take on the biggest problems facing the world’s most influential organisations. Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture:
- Real-World Impact – No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
What we do
We guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- Healthcare Efficiency – We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development – We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
Who you are
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount here – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
What you’ll learn
As part of a team at QuantumBlack, you will be working on the frameworks and libraries that our teams of Data Scientists and Data Engineers use to progress from data to impact. We are passionate about life-long learning and professional development individual to each of our employees. Whilst here, you will:
- Learn how successful projections on real world problems across a variety of industries are completed through referencing past deliveries of end to end machine learning pipelines
- Build products alongside the Core engineering team and evolve the engineering process to scale with data, handling complex problems and advanced client situations
- Be able to focus on modelling by working alongside the Data Engineering team which focuses on the wrangling, clean-up and transformation of data.
- Learn best practices in software development and productionise machine learning by working with our Machine Learning Engineering teams which optimise code for model development and scale it
- Work with our UX and Visual Design teams to interpret your complex models into stunning and user-focused visualisations
- Learn to use new technologies and problem-solving skills in a multicultural and creative environment
As a Principal Data Scientist at QuantumBlack, you will drive the analytical scope and method for projects using Maths, Stats and Machine Learning to derive structure and knowledge from raw data across various industry sectors. You will be responsible for providing insights to the leadership team based on client and team learnings and as necessary, work with the Recruiting Team in relation to the recruitment of other Data Scientists. You will influence many of the recommendations our clients need to positively change their businesses and enhance performance. You will also mentor junior members of the team and take a lead on various development and training initiatives, such as attending technical conferences.
- Use Maths, Stats and Machine learning to derive key insights across various industry sectors including Formula 1, pharma, automotive and high-tech.
- Be responsible for providing insights to the Leadership team based on client and team learnings and as necessary, work with the Recruiting Team in relation to the recruitment of other Data Scientists
- Mentoring Senior Data Scientists and providing guidance to Fellow Data Scientists where required
- Take ownership of separate work streams, such as R&D
- Write highly optimised code to advance our internal Data Science toolbox
- Work alongside the Principal Data Scientist to develop world-class data science products for clients as well as for our data science team
- Responsible for leading team meetings and workshops with clients as well as mentoring other Data Scientists.
- Work on complex data sets from some of the world’s largest organisations
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment mixing highly skilled people in data science, data engineering and design
- Perhaps most importantly, you will work in one of the largest and most talented data science teams in London
- Build and maintain strong links with the academic world and constantly share ideas and stay ahead of the curve on the latest methods
- Post-graduate degree educated in a relevant subject. PhD level is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in a professional environment e.g. managed project teams and direct reports
- Experience working with leadership teams on data science and machine learning initiatives
- Programming experience in languages such as: R or Python
- Experience with either Scala or SQL is preferred
- Extensive professional experience in implementing statistical modelling and machine learning methods
- Experience in applying data science methods to commercial problems
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with a knack for explaining complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
- Knowledge of distributed computing or NoSQL technologies is a bonus
1. Recruiter screen
2. Online technical test (coding and modelling)
3. First round technical case study
4. Second round technical discussion
5. Final round presentation and interviews with Senior Principals
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.
Watch our Careers Video
- Technical and non-technical training courses
- Attendance at one international ML conference per year (e.g. NIPS, ICML)
- McKinsey benefits (competitive salary, annual bonus, generous pension scheme etc.)
- Free lunches daily
- Free art pass
- Gym membership and yoga classes