Head of Machine Learning Engineering
Who we are
QuantumBlack teams work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact. We bring together the brightest data scientists, engineers and designers to take on the biggest problems facing the world’s most influential organisations. Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture.
- No project is ever the same - we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture - Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
What we do
We guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- Healthcare Efficiency - We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development - We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
Who you are
You have a background in software engineering, data science and likely mathematics. You enjoy building, guiding and coaching teams of engineers, with recent experience in productionising machine learning models at scale. You encourage a strong DevOps culture and you have an ability to think strategically around how software engineering, machine learning and the latest Cloud technologies can be fused to create scalable solutions. You are an effective communicator and influencer – a passionate advocate for the importance and value of good MLE practices.
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount here – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
Who You’ll work with:
You will have the opportunity to work on complex problems with our clients across a number of domains. At QB you will work as part of a highly collaborative and cross-functional team of Machine Learning Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Architects, Software Engineers and Designers.
What you’ll learn:
As the most senior member of the Machine Learning Engineer team, you will set the standards for software engineering practices within the MLE and Data Science teams. We are passionate about life-long learning and professional development for all colleagues. You will:
- Develop your leadership capabilities with support from some of the best global leadership programs, developed by McKinsey
- Gain exposure to clients at the most senior levels, working alongside McKinsey, improving your ability to engage a senior audience
- Play a key role in the continued scale-up of QuantumBlack and develop your experience and knowledge of how to scale technology led organisations, successfully
- Deepen your expertise in Machine Learning Engineer practices across not only QuantumBlack but the broader McKinsey group
As Head of Machine Learning for QuantumBlack, you will you will be responsible for leading a best in class Machine Learning Engineer team on advanced analytics engagements. You will define QuantumBlack's Machine Learning Engineer standards and ways of working, making sensible trade-offs between value and cost of delivery. You will champion strong code development processes across the team and company, and coach and development a talented team of Machine Learning Engineers. You will take the latest research in Data science and create practical products and solutions (Libraries, Tools etc.) to be used on client projects and internally.
- Lead, coach and develop a growing team of MLEs (mixture of computer science and engineering backgrounds). Build QB’s MLE capability globally by building the team and collaborating with a best-in-class and closely aligned data science team.
- Being a thought leader in the industry –contributing to Black papers, attending and speaking at Design conferences to bring leading edge thinking into QB, demonstrating QBs capabilities externally
- Be a guardian for MLE standards across QB
- Participate in client and product development discussions to ensure new projects are conceived with MLE best practices from the get-go
- Build a strong network of colleagues across all QB Guilds and the broader McKinsey network, working collaboratively to ensure MLE is well represented in all areas of the company and the broader firm
- Guide the team to work closely with Data Scientists and Data Engineers to productionise and deploy machine learning models thus helping us to shape the next generation of our products.
- Provide advice on building and using the right analytical libraries, programming languages, and frameworks for upcoming projects and products
- Be responsible for providing insights to the Leadership team based on client and team learnings
- Work with the recruiting team in respect of Recruiting other Machine Learning Engineers
- Identify and manage the development of reusable assets and drive continuous improvement within the practice
- Background in Computer Science, Maths or a related subject
- Several years of experience in leading teams of software engineers or R&D Engineers
- Experience building a team value proposition and communicating this in compelling and innovative ways to internal and external clients
- Experience developing and implementing production-ready machine learning solutions
- Experience of developing solutions in languages such as Scala, Python, Java, C, C++
- A good understanding of machine learning techniques i.e. Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Deep Learning
- Knowledge of database manipulation languages i.e. SQL, Postgres
- Demonstrated leadership skills, in a thought-leadership or team management capacity.
1. Recruiter screen
2. First round interviews (experience, expertise and cultural fit)
3. Second round presentation and discussion (leadership and technical knowledge)
4. Final round interviews (experience, expertise and cultural fit)
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.
Watch our Careers Video
- McKinsey benefits (competitive salary, annual bonus, generous pension scheme etc.)
- Technical and non-technical training courses
- Attendance at conferences
- Free lunches daily
- Free art pass
- Gym membership and yoga classes