Data Visualisation Designer - Consultant (London)
QuantumBlack helps companies use data to drive decisions. We combine business experience, expertise in large-scale data analysis and visualisation, and advanced software engineering know-how to deliver results. From pharma to finance to Formula One, we help companies prototype, develop and deploy bespoke data science and data visualisation solutions to make better decisions.
This job will involve joining our London-based design team, creating work both for clients and internal projects. Your work will primarily include data visualisation design, but there will sometimes be user interface and presentation material to design. Your focus will be data viz, but you will need a solid understanding of core graphic design principles including visual hierarchy, colour theory, layouts & grids and typography.
Most importantly, you’ll care deeply about design and have a passion for creating meaningful data visualisations and memorable user experiences. It is important that you can think strategically and communicate data-driven insights by transforming science and numbers into easily understandable visualisation. Your role will involve working closely with our Engagement Managers and Data Scientists to help tell stories with data and visualise insights in a compelling and insightful way.
What you'll do:
- Designing static and interactive data visualisations, infographics and presentation material (along with user interfaces) for our clients and internal products
- Using a logical approach to solve complex design problems, and a user-centred approach to data visualization and UI design
- Being part of a close-knit & dynamic design team, including UX and Visual Designers.
- Collaborating closely with front-end engineers, data scientists and product/client managers
- Rapidly creating concepts, prototyping and iterating on ideas
- Data will often drive your designs. You will be translating numbers into meaningful graphics
- You will help champion design and data visualisation, and its value within the company
- Experience designing data visualisations and user interfaces with a high-calibre portfolio (please provide link or attachment)
- Strong information design and typographic skills, with a meticulous attention to detail
- A good understanding of User-Centred Design
- Degree in graphic design/visual communication [or relevant background] is essential
- Confident communicator, able to express your ideas and convey complicated concepts simply
- Able to run ideation sessions with project stakeholders and users, translating complex ideas into visualisations even at a rough early stage
- Ability to answer briefs and meet deadlines, without compromising on quality
- You can justify and defend your design decisions to both designers and non-designers.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Sketch. You can also handle data, using tools such as Microsoft Excel and Tableau.
- A strong desire to get stuck in, meet new people and take on new challenges!