Senior Machine Learning Engineer (London)
Who we are
QuantumBlack teams work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact. We bring together the brightest data scientists, engineers and designers to take on the biggest problems facing the world’s most influential organisations. Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture.
- No project is ever the same - we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture - Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
What we do
We guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- Healthcare Efficiency - We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development - We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
Who you are
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount here – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
Who You’ll work with:
You will have the opportunity to work on complex problems with our clients across a number of domains. You will work part of a highly collaborative and cross-functional team of Data Scientists, Data Architects, Engineers and Designers.
What you'll do
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you are a keen problem solver who uses technology to solve complex analytical problems. You have a deep interest in Big Data technologies, Analytics and Data Science. You know how to engineer beautiful code in Python and/or Scala (and Spark) but also can read R and take pride in what you produce.
- Work closely with Data Scientists and Data Engineers to productionise and deploy machine learning models
- Work with the guild leadership to set the standards for software engineering practices within the machine learning engineering team and support across other disciplines
- Play an active role in leading team meetings and workshops with clients
- Choose and use the right analytical libraries, programming languages, and frameworks for each task
- Produce high-quality code that allows us to put solutions into production
- Refactor code into reusable libraries, APIs, and tools
- Help us to shape the next generation of our products
- Rotate between client project work and internal product development in alignment with your personal development plan
- MSc or degree in Computer Science or a relevant subject
- Strong coding skills in Python. Experience with pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib a big plus.
- Practical experience with machine learning methods, such as Linear Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Deep Learning, etc
- Solid understanding of good software engineering principles
- Knowledge of Big Data technologies, such as Spark, Hadoop/MapReduce is desirable but not essential
- Good knowledge of testing frameworks and libraries
- Good knowledge of database management languages e.g. SQL, PostgreSQL
Online technical test
Machine learning case study and final discussion
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.
Watch our Careers Video
- Technical and non-technical training courses
- Attendance at conferences
- McKinsey benefits (competitive salary, annual bonus, generous pension scheme etc.)
- Free lunches daily
- Free art pass
- Gym membership and yoga classes