Software Engineer (London)
QuantumBlack teams work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact. We bring together the brightest data scientists, engineers and designers to take on the biggest problems facing the world’s most influential organisations. Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture:
- Real-World Impact - No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
What we do
We guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
Who you are
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount here – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
What you’ll learn
With our focus on solving problems using data, you will learn to deeply understand the Data Science and Data Engineering process and help develop impactful and reusable patterns and abstractions used by our clients and teams. You will experience the thrill of building a growing product and evolving the engineering process to handle more users, harder problems and more advanced client situations. You’ll be able to continuously exercise your unique problem-solving skills by being involved with the most exciting new challenges that industry has to offer.
You will be working to build the frameworks and libraries that our teams of Data Scientists and Data Engineers use to go from data to impact. You will leverage, develop, and master best-practices around modern tools that support rapid development of analytics solutions like Python, Spark, Luigi, Airflow and others.
Your core focus will be on architecting, developing and delivering the best product possible for use by QuantumBlack and our clients. You’ll be successful in this role by; leading peer-programming sessions, helping teams with problem solving, reviewing code to ensure high standards, writing unit tests for all of your code, and working to continuously evaluate our process for optimisations. You will be able to measure your impact by the new opportunities you help unlock for our teams and clients. Through your work, you will collaboratively advance the state-of-the-art in QuantumBlack and for our clients.
- Have strong Computer Science and Software Engineering foundations
- Ideally 2+ years experience in software engineering
- Be comfortable working with a couple of programming languages, preferably one of which is Python
- Be familiar with basic software engineering patterns and multiple programming paradigms, e.g. functional programming, OOP, etc.
- Have experience in developing and designing medium-sized projects, preferably libraries, frameworks or enterprise software
- Significant experience collaborating in a product engineering environment
- Experience working in highly scaled data problems (e.g, distributed computing, Spark, Kafka)
- Working on or contributing to frameworks and tools, either internal or open source
- Experience working with production AI/ML it would be a strong advantage
- Experience independently scoping and implementing solutions for your product
- Writing and collaborating on highly insightful, comprehensive code reviews
- Extraordinary in-depth understanding of your assets architecture, systematically thinking through potential design impacts on other teams and the company
1. Recruiter Screen
2. Online technical Hackerrank test
3. On-site technical white-boarding interview focusing on the following areas: algorithms, probability, data structures, system design
4. Final on-site interview which involves some conversations with people outside of the engineering team to get to know us better
- Great work life balance with flexible working hours
- Great benefits (competitive salary, annual bonus, generous pension scheme etc.)
- Continued learning and professional development - budget for both technical and non-technical training
- Lunch provided daily
- Free art pass
- Gym membership and yoga classes
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.
Watch our Careers Video