Data Scientist (Chicago)
QuantumBlack teams work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact. We bring together the brightest data scientists, engineers and designers to take on the biggest problems facing the world’s most influential organisations. Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture:
- Real-World Impact – No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
What we do
We guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- Healthcare Efficiency – We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development – We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
Who you are
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount here – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
What you’ll learn
As part of a team at QuantumBlack, you will be working on the frameworks and libraries that our teams of Data Scientists and Data Engineers use to progress from data to impact. We are passionate about life-long learning and professional development individual to each of our employees. Whilst here, you will:
- Learn how successful projections on real world problems across a variety of industries are completed through referencing past deliveries of end to end machine learning pipelines
- Build products alongside the Core engineering team and evolve the engineering process to scale with data, handling complex problems and advanced client situations
- Be able to focus on modelling by working alongside the Data Engineering team which focuses on the wrangling, clean-up and transformation of data.
- Learn best practices in software development and productionise machine learning by working with our Machine Learning Engineering teams which optimise code for model development and scale it
- Work with our UX and Visual Design teams to interpret your complex models into stunning and user-focused visualisations
- Learn to use new technologies and problem-solving skills in a multicultural and creative environment
As a Data Scientist at QuantumBlack, you will drive the analytical scope and method for projects using Maths, Stats and Machine Learning to derive structure and knowledge from raw data across various industry sectors. You will influence many of the recommendations our clients need to positively change their businesses and enhance performance.
- Work on complex and extremely varied data sets from some of the world’s largest organisations to solve real world problems
- Develop data science products and solutions for clients as well as for our data science team
- Write highly optimized code to advance our internal Data Science Toolbox
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment with specialists in machine learning, engineering and design
- Add real-world impact to your academic expertise, as you are encouraged to write ‘black’ papers and present at meetings and conferences should you wish
- Attend conferences such as NIPS and ICML as one global team as well as Data Science retrospectives where you will have the opportunity to share and learn from your co-workers.
- Work within one of the largest and most advanced data science teams, support the Lead Data Scientists to develop data science products
- MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, or Mathematics
- Experience in statistical modelling and machine learning techniques
- Programming experience in at least two of the following languages: R, Python, Scala, SQL
- Experience in applying data science methods to business problems
- Experience in applying advanced analytical and statistical methods in the commercial world
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
- Knowledge of distributed computing or NoSQL technologies is a bonus
1. Recruiter screen
2. Online HackerRank test (2 hour coding and modelling challenge)
3. First round technical video conference with a Data Scientist
4. Final rounds: Half day - Onsite includes tech round, case study, meet with guild lead and managing director
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.
Watch our Careers Video
- Technical and non-technical training courses
- Attendance at one international ML conference per year (e.g. NIPS, ICML)
- McKinsey benefits (competitive salary, annual bonus, generous pension scheme etc., excellent healthcare)
- Office events
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!